Ukrainian Chebureki is one of my favorite Slavic dishes to have for lunch, and it’s super easy to make especially with my chebureki recipe.
What is Chebureki?
It’s basically a fried turnover with a filling on the inside. You can make it with any ground or minced meat you like or vegetarian if you would like. My family makes chebureki with chicken and I prefer my chebureki with a meat filling.
How to make Chebureki?
Growing up cooking Russian/Ukrainian food intimidated me. But honestly, it really is not hard especially if you follow instructions. I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious chebureki recipe.
1. The first step is to make the meat filling, I like to ground my own meat. I used chicken thighs for this recipe or you can use chicken breast as well. Grind about 2 lbs of meat.
2. Grind or pure about half white onion and 2 to 3 garlic cloves. Add that to the meat mixture and season with salt, and pepper, and add about 4 tbs of water. Adding the water helps the meat to stay moist and results in the juicy tender chicken filling. Mix all the ingredients together.
3. Then take your tortillas ( or you can make your own dough) but surprisingly these ready-to-cook Tortillas by Tortilla Land tastes very similar if you were to make your own dough for this recipe, and they taste delicious. Add a thin layer of the meat mixture on one side of the tortilla, spreading evenly and not too close to the edge. Then fold the other half of the tortilla and seal the edges with a fork.
4. Heat oil in a nonstick pan and cook chebureki for about 4 minutes or so on each side until golden. I like to use a bigger pan and cook two at a time. Repeat with the rest of the chebureki.
5. Place the cooked chebureki on paper towels to absorb grease. Chebureki taste best when served immediately.
If you enjoyed this Russian chebureki recipe, I would love it if you shared it. Thank you in advance.
Chicken Chebureki Recipe
- 2 lbs chicken tights or chicken breast
- half onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 tbs water
- oil for cooking
- Flour Tortilla by Tortilla Land
- salt and pepper
- Grind 2 lbs of chicken thighs or chicken breast. Then grind half a white onion and 2 to 3 garlic cloves, add it to the grounded chicken.
- Season the ground chicken with salt, pepper and add about 4 tbs of water. Mix all the ingridients together.
- Add a thin later of the meat mixture on one side of raw tortilla spreading evenly. Then fold the other half of tortilla and seal the edges with fork.
- Heat up on in a pain and cook chebureki until golden on both sides. About 4 minutes each side or until the meat inside reaches 165 ºF.
- Place the chebureki on papertowel to allowe the excess oil to absorb. And repeat the above process with the rest of chebureki.
- Best if served righ away.
1 thought on “Chicken Chebureki Recipe”
This looks so good! Thanks for sharing this delicious Russian treat.